Top Five Reasons Why Calibration Matters
Applied metrology is the measurement science developed in relation to manufacturing and other processes, ensuring the suitability of measurement instruments, their calibration, and quality control.
Calibration is the practice of evaluating and adjusting equipment to ensure precision and accuracy. Calibration for force measurement determines whether a sensor is working properly, as well if it needs repair or replacement.
Calibration is critical in the application of test and measurement because it provides controlled methods using equipment and systems that ensure reliability, accuracy, and quality.
We recently shared in our Accurate Report on Calibration seminar, the top five reasons why calibration matters. Below highlights each why.
#1 Reason Why Calibration Matters – Understanding Uncertainty
- Measurement uncertainty is defined as an estimate of the range of measured values within which the true value lies or, alternatively, the degree of doubt about a measured value.
- In every application, there will be an uncertainty requirement on the force measurement.
- The equipment used to make the measurement must be traceable to a realization of the SI Newton unit of force within this required uncertainty.
#2 Reason Why Calibration Matters – Quality and Specifications
- Calibration ensures the transducer is performing to listed specification.
- It avoids costly impacts or escapes to manufactured goods and products.
- Maintaining quality of manufactured device to original specifications is an important reason why calibration matters.
- It certainly minimizes the cost of poor quality.
#3 Reason Why Calibration Matters – Minimize Downtime
- Proactive maintenance will always take less time than reactive problem solving and repairs.
- Identify and repair or replace system components before they fail through regular calibration.
- Plan calibration intervals to minimize downtime, as a schedule is preventative maintenance.
#4 Reason Why Calibration Matters – Data Accuracy
- All load cells are subject to potential performance degradation due to mistreatment or drift, impacting data integrity.
- Pre and post test verification provide assurances in data validity.
- Confidence in critical measurements is imperative.
#5 Reason Why Calibration Matters – Accreditation and Certifications
- Calibrations provide adherence to quality management systems and requirements, especially ISO certifications and compliance.
- It assures that measurements gathered within the valid calibration period are reliable, trustworthy, and defensible.
- Traceability of measurement is guaranteed with certifications.
To start, every sensor Interface manufactures is calibrated and certified in our fully accredited calibration labs before it leaves our facilities. We do so under ISO 17025 standards with full NIST traceability for quality assurance. Annually, we provide more than 100,000 calibrations on force and torque measurement devices.
We also provide complete calibration services and repair on any sensor we make, as well as other manufacturer’s equipment. Our experienced calibration lab technicians offer a complete range of calibration services for load cells, torque transducers and other force measurement devices, including:
- Scheduled Repairs for Ongoing Inventory Management
- RMA Tracking and Permanent Archive of Test Data
- Custom Calibration Services
Calibration is a necessity as any product can degrade, resulting in a decline in accuracy. Interface recommends every device go through a calibration service annually to maintain the integrity of the sensor performance. If you need assistance in scheduling a calibration service or requesting help, contact us here.
We also offer a range of calibration grade equipment for labs and to use for self-service calibration. This includes our verification load frames, calibration systems, calibration grade load cells and lab instrumentation. Read Calibration Grade Load Cells and Systems and Additional Interface Calibration Grade Solutions to learn about these and other products.
Recap of Accurate Report on Calibration
GS-SYS04 Gold Standard® Portable E4 Machine Calibration System
Extending the Calibration Range of a TransducerCalibration-and-Repair-Brochure-1