Brake Testing with Interface Bluetooth Solutions
Automotive testing for brakes requires trust and accuracy in ensuring safety is first and foremost for any driver and passenger, no matter the amount of applied force. Automotive safety is most important for all manufacturers in the industry. Interface products used in the test and measurement applications for brakes are most frequently selected based on quality, reliability, and precision.
In this application note Interface outlines how it was able to help a customer measure brake pedal force using its new Bluetooth Telemetry System (BTS) and a BPL-300-C Brake Pedal Load Cell.
Interface was asked to outline how a customer could help in measuring brake pedal force when the pedal is pressed during automobile testing, preferably with a cordless solution. There are two critical components that Interface recommended based on all the customer’s requirements.
BPL-300-C Brake Pedal Load Cell:
- Interface’s Brake Pedal Load Cell has the lowest nonlinearity and hysteresis of any brake load cell available.
- It features ultra-low height and low sensitivity to off-axis loads.
- It mounts directly to the pedals with included straps and has interchangeable mounting plates.
- The BTS-AM-1 is a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) strain bridge transmitter module that provides access to high-quality measurements on a mobile platform such as a phone or tablet.
- The delivery mechanism is BLE which utilizes the flexibility and availability of Bluetooth receivers while maintaining the low power requirements of embedded systems.
- Features high measurement resolutions, simple integration into IOS and Android Apps, 30 to 90 m range and advanced security.
Noted in the application use case, as the pedal is pressed, force is measured by the BPL-300-C Brake Pedal Load Cell. Results are transmitted by the BTS-AM-1 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Strain Bridge Transmitter Module to the BTS Toolkit Mobile App and displayed on a mobile device. As the pedal is compressed, the force measurement data is transmitted through the BTS-AM-1 to the user via the BTS Toolkit Mobile App
How it Works:
- The Interface BPL-300-C is securely mounted on the top of the brake pedal.
- The load cell is connected to the BTS-AM-1 Module.
- The BTS-AM-1 Module transmits via Bluetooth to the BTS Toolkit Mobile App.
- The BTS Toolkit Mobile App runs on iPhone or Android devices.
- The brake test is performed and results are displayed in real-time on the BTS Toolkit Mobile App.
Using the Interface BPL-300-C Brake Pedal Load Cell and BTS-AM-1, the customer was able to execute the brake pedal test and measure the results in real-time Bluetooth technology. The force measurement data was simultaneously displayed and graphed for accessibility and readability.
Learn more about the Bluetooth and Wireless Telemetry Solutions here.Bluetooth Brake Pedal App Note