Miniature Torque Transducers 101
The demands for miniature force and torque measurement solutions are on the rise. Modernization of products along with complex, compact products requires small and robust test and measurement solutions.
Miniature torque transducers are small sensors that measure torque, or rotational force, in mechanical systems. They are used to monitor and control the torque output of motors, gears, and other rotating components. These mini transducers come in various sizes and designs, ranging from simple rotary sensors to complex multi-axis sensors. The range of options provide precise, real-time measurements for all types of torque measurement applications.
COMMON USE CASES FOR MINIATURE TORQUE TRANSDUCERS
- Quality control: In many manufacturing and smart factory processes, miniature torque transducers can provide real-time measurements of the torque being applied by production machines and equipment, allowing for adjustments to be made as needed in instantly to improve product quality.
- Performance optimization: By measuring the torque output of a motor or other rotating component, a miniature torque transducer can optimize performance, resulting in improved efficiency, longer lifespan, and reduced maintenance requirements.
- Safety: In certain applications, it is important to monitor the torque being applied to ensure that it does not exceed a certain limit. This is particularly important in safety-critical applications, where excessive torque can lead to equipment failure and potential harm to people and property.
- Research and development: Miniature torque transducers assist in testing and validating new products, processes, and technologies. By providing accurate, real-time measurements of torque, these sensors can help to improve product design and performance.
Miniature torque transducers are being used in an increasing number of applications, including in the production and design of automotive and vehicle components, for use with machines and lab equipment, in robotics and industrial automation monitoring, R&D of medical devices, and in testing viability, durability and safety of consumer products. Interface’s event, Taking Measure of Miniature Load Cells, explores the topic of using miniature measure devices.
Interface continues to add new types of miniature torque transducers to our expanding line of these sensor types. In fact, Interface has multiple U.S. patents for our MRT products and our proprietary overload protection designs.
INTERFACE MINIATURE TORQUE TRANSDUCERS
- MRT MINIATURE FLANGE STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: Our MRT’s flange design offers ease of installation in a low capacity, compact design. The low deflection and high torsional stiffness make the MRT an excellent choice for reciprocating measurements. We also offer the MRT2 model with higher measurement capacities.
- MRTP MINIATURE OVERLOAD PROTECTED FLANGE STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: The MRTP features 7X safe overload in a 0.2 Nm (1.77 lbf-in) capacity. The flange design makes it easy to mount. The MRT2P features 3X safe overload protection.
- AT104 COMPACT SIZE FORCE AND TORQUE TRANSDUCER: The AT104 is a reliable and durable reaction torque and force sensor, non-rotating, for example, optimization of the granulation of abrasives with a truly short axial length.
- TR1 ROD END STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: Our Interface TR1 Rod End Reaction Torque Transducer has a small size and lends itself to heavy duty mounting.
- TS21 MINIATURE SHAFT STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: Our TS21 miniature shaft style reaction torque transducer features keyed shafts and a compact package with short overall length. The keyed shafts allow positive engagement with fixtures or couplings.
- TS17 HEX DRIVE STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: The TS17 accepts standard hex-style screwdriver bits, useful for auditing fastener torque and checking screw installation after final assembly.
- TS14 SQUARE DRIVE STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: Our model TS14 can be used to check torque wrenches and is useful for auditing fastener torque.
- 5350 SOLID FLANGE STYLE REACTION TORQUE TRANSDUCER: The 5350 Solid Flange Reaction Torque Transducer has threaded mounting holes and is available internal amplification for ±10V high-level output. Another model in this line is our 5355.
Proven by many Interface customers, our miniature torque transducers can provide valuable and accurate measurement data for a wide range of use cases and applications, making them an important device for engineers across all types of industries.
Robotic Surgery Force Feedback Solution Using Mini Torque Transducers
A biomechanical medical device company needs to test the force, torque, and tactile feedback from their robotic arm used for invasive surgery. A number of Interface’s miniature force and torque measurement products are used on this robotic arm. These include the ConvexBT Load Button Load Cell, SMTM Micro S-Type Load Cell, and the MRTP Miniature Overload Protected Flange Style Reaction Torque Transducer. Force results can be collected when connected to the BX8 8-Channel Data Acquisition and Amplifier, and viewed when attached to the a laptop. Read more about the results here.
Furthermore, the demand for miniature sensors is also being driven by the need for more cost-effective sensing solutions. With the cost of miniaturization decreasing, more and more companies are looking to incorporate miniature sensors into their products to gain a competitive advantage.
The trend towards miniaturization is expected to continue in the coming years, which will likely lead to further growth in the demand for miniature sensors including Interface’s miniature torque transducers.
Anniversary of Interface Miniature Torque Transducers
Choosing the Right Torque Transducer
Flange Style Load Cells and Torque Transducers 101
Insights in Torque Testing Featured in Quality Magazine