Here is some of the basic information you will want to consider:
What are you measuring the force of?
- Tension and compression or compression only?
- Off-axis or multiple axis forces?
What are the expected loads?
- Choose a capacity that is higher than the expected load
- Interface load cells are accurate over the full range of their stated capacity
Will it be a static, dynamic or fatigue measurement?
Static Measurement – force applied in one direction, tension or compression, from 0 to 100, constant for an extended period of time
Dynamic Measurement – loads that vary in both force and direction
Fatigue Measurement – multiple cycles, 100% compression to 100% tension load
What environment will you conduct your test in?
- Hot or cold? Dry or wet? Inside or outside? Lab or production line?
- Determine load cell material and the need for sealing
How accurate do your measurements need to be?
- Highest Accuracy: ±0.02-0.05%
- “Ballpark” Measurement: ±0.5-1%
What features and options will your load cell need?
- Standard connectors include; 6 pin bayonet type, 6 pin screw type, and integral cable
- Custom options available, including a customer specified connector
Overload Protection – a mechanical solution that protects a load cell from exceeding forces
- All Interface load cells are rated at 150% or more of capacity
- Second and third bridges are used for redundancy or reference
- Useful for ensuring a working load cell for extended period testing
Internal Amplifier – used to modify the signal to the type of output required, including;4-20mA, ±5V, ±10V, 0-5V, and 0-10V
Transducer Electronic Data Sheet (TEDS) – a load cell with electronic identification inside, including sensor information and calibration data
- Meets IEEE 1451.4 standard for smart transducer interface
- Makes a load cell plug & play ready, can reduce instrument setup time, and eliminate data entry error
How are you planning to collect and analyze the data output from your load cell?
Interface offers a complete line of instrumentation to provide you with exactly the information you need, including: indicators, signal conditioners and PC interface modules with USB and software options.