Customer Need / Challenge
- Spacecraft landing on a lunar or planetary surface require parachutes to deploy at high speeds under high loads.
- For example, NASA tested the Mars Science Laboratory parachute in an 80x120-foot wind tunnel at 80 mph speeds and loads up to 85,000 pounds.
- A 1000-series fatigue-rated LowProfile™ load cells with eccentric load compensation is employed to sustain and measure high loads with 300% overload protection.
- Load cells ensure accurate measurement of applied loads during parachute deployment testing.
- Multiple tests allow engineers to test various parachute packing techniques.